“As practice makes perfect, I cannot but make progress; each drawing one makes, each study one paints, is a step forward.” Vincent van Gogh
How to start with acrylic painting?
Acrylic colors are versatile and vibrant and thus, it could be painted on almost anything. They are relatively affordable.
Acrylic Paints are fast drying paints. They can be used directly from the tube, or can be thinned with water. They offer a wide range of textures, colors and consistency, whilst giving the artist a variety of painting techniques to learn from.
These affordable options and thus, they’re ideal for covering large areas. They are opaque and fast drying and yet could be painted on anything and dried up into a water resistant surface.
Acrylic Painting Tips for Artists
- Brushes used for acrylic painting are made up of synthetic materials. They can be used with variety of mediums. It is necessary to have a variety of brushes, small to large. It will help you learn sooner and also get comfortable with shapes and textures.
- Acrylic paints have a buttery texture and thus, have an acquired ability to hold a lot of water. It is basically plastic, a pigment suspended in polymer solution. Necessary care should be taken while adding water.
- This is a precise process and it is up to the artist to mix specific colors so as to obtain the others. Use a palette knife, a plastic knife or an extra brush while mixing acrylic colors. Mix thoroughly to obtain a nice finish to the texture of the paint.
- Acrylic colors dry quickly and thus, it is not easy to keep them moist. It is efficient to mist them with water continuously so as to maintain their consistency. Depending on the surface of the painting, it could help to add water and make acrylics resemble as watercolor.
- A white paint mixture known as Gesso is used as a base for acrylic painting. The linen used for canvas painting is stretched and then painted with Gesso to provide a smoother and water resistant surface.
- A great way to make pencil sketches is to paint over an underlying layer of paint, which is known as Glazing. It is best to use a gel medium to achieve a glaze.
- Blending is a tricky business and it requires a lot of techniques to master it. Working two different wet colors to blend in together is the best way to create a gradient into the color.
- When the color or surface underneath is dry, the best way to paint is to use wet in wet building texture. Acrylics have an incredible amount of control and thus, they stay wherever you put them.